Friday, July 4, 2008

Day 4 - Fourth of July Flowerworks!


Happy Fourth of July to all! We won't get to see real fireworks until tonight, and I'm going to do my darndest to get some decent pictures of them - last year's effort was, charitably speaking, mediocre.

I’m getting ideas from others' blogs and daily images ..... so JohnnyTitan, this entry is springboarding from your images of motion. Thanks!

This is a picture of red/pink/white impatiens and purple lobelia in my backyard. Various flowers resulted in different effects, but when I saw the preview of this after taking the picture, the zoom lines just screamed out "Fireworks!" to me and I am going with it!

The zoom effect was all done in camera (no post-processing PS zoom blur). Camera was handheld, because the idea just evolved and I was too lazy to go inside and get the tripod after I experimented. I used my 17-85 lens, focused at the 17 mm end. I used shutter priority, set for 6/10 of a second (after some 'learning' attempts), ISO 100. During the exposure, I turned the zoom ring all the way to 85mm, or as close to it as I could get. It was tough trying to hold the camera still and turn the lens during the exposure time, and it probably would have been better with a tripod, but it's still fun.

Anyway, on the computer, I duplicated the layers, adjusted color, played with blending modes and then finished up with some light vignetting around the edges. This was really fun. :)

14 comments:

Kookaburra said...

This is super neat-o (sorry, I got carried away there). I am gonna have to try this with flowers in my garden, but there will be a tripod or else, very likely, a broken camera at my feet. Thanks for the cool pic and the instructions.
-Kook

Rhiannonsmommy said...

Wow Buffy. That is awesome! A different way to make fireworks. So cool.

Julia said...

How creative! And it looks just like a fireworks explosion of color. Beautiful job. I'm gonna have to try that!

Susan Roberson said...

Thats a super neat shot! Love the colors!!

Celia said...

Gorgeous, and very patriotic! Happy 4th of July to you!

kimbomac said...

It is fabulous! Very dynamic and powerful. Great job.

dollyllama said...

Awesome effect, really captures the mood of July 4th with the colors and the somewhat frenetic energy. Great stuff!

Unknown said...

Neat! Thanks for the how to, I didn't understand most of it, but its nice to see how much work went into it. Maybe before long it wont sound so foreign! :)

Andromeda5000 said...

What a great result. I really like this.

theicebunny said...

That is such a cool technic I wish I could do that but without the zoom I would have to run really fast at the flowers lol
At fist glance I thought it was fireworks well done

UnicornBabe said...

Very creative!! Very nicely done!

YMS said...

Very nice result, almost like a kaleidoscopic view.

Phildo said...

Nice capture Carol, I love this!

BoC said...

Man, I love this shot! I've tried to get the same effect but I've not had decent results.