Thursday, July 10, 2008

Day 10 - Dazzling Dahlias


It's lucky for me that Balboa Island is a touristy area...I've been there three days in a row with my camera around my neck, walking around taking pictures, and I think I'm blending in with the visitors.


This garden was a real find! I walked on part of the island that I don't usually visit and came upon this "wall" of dahlias separating the house from the sidewalk. They were so bright, and obviously someone with a very green thumb lives there as there were no dead flowers to be found on the plants!


Since I had so many great dahlia pictures (including some with bees), I decided to make a triptych today.


I worked in a large size when I put this together. It is very clear on my computer, but reducing it to the Worth size of 75K, and even a little larger at this size on the blog, has somehow slightly messed it up and it's lost some of its softness and appears oversharpened, which the original is not. I've tried several times to re-size it for Web, but it still only comes out about 50% on the .jpg quality indicator. Sorry, I can't figure out what I did wrong.

11 comments:

kimbomac said...

Wow, those are gorgeous! It's simply a riot of wonderful bright colours. I just love all three, and together they look quite overpoweringly stunning! Very nicely done.

Celia said...

You better watch out...Kookaburra is going to go nuts over these!!
These are gorgeous!! I love how you were able to capture a couple of bees!

Rhiannonsmommy said...

Whooo hoooo awesome triptych. Stunning Buffy. I love the colors so vibrant.

thephrog said...

Nice! I love flowers, and yours are beautiful! Great colors! I also really like triptychs, good job! :)

Btw, (don't get me started,but) goldfish life spans are 20-24 years when kept properly (given enough space, which is 20 gallons per fish). I guess if you were "waiting for them to die" (lol) 6 years would seem like a long time! :) I used to work in the fish dept of a pet store. :) I hate that carnivals use goldfish as prizes. Poor things...
lol, I did say don't get me started! :P

Lisa Sprague said...

Wow! Stunning would be a good word, I think. The bright pink against the black background really stands out. Looks like a post card for sure!

Ziaphra said...

Ooh...these are stunning!

Unknown said...

I think these may be my favorite so far. Awesome! :)

YMS said...

Stunning presentation! I think I may have overdosed on beauty...

Anonymous said...

Great job--I could see these being made into greeting cards. Stunning! Arttrainer

Andromeda5000 said...

This is my favourite of your collection so far. Absolutely stunning.

Julia said...

These are beautiful! They're so perfectly formed. I bet they're spectacular on your computer since they're so beautiful on mine - I don't see any flaws.